Mental illnesses can actually be amplified and harder to control because we've put them in the spotlight. We crowd them. We scream their names. We don't let them have any privacy. That's the price that they have to pay. And what a price...
Below is just a short list of famous people that have suffered some form of mental illness in their lifetime. Some are still battling, others have recovered.
- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw - Clinical Depression
- Jim Carrey - Clinical Depression
- Diana, Princess of Wales - Depression
- Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) - Bipolar Disorder
- Heath Ledger - Depression and Anxiety
- Catherine Zeta Jones - Bipolar Disorder II
- J.K. Rowling - Depression
- Winona Ryder - Clinical Depression and Anxiety
- Abraham Lincoln - Clinical Depression
- Winston Churchill - Bipolar Disorder
- Charles Dickens - Clinical Depression, suspected Bipolar Disorder
- Robin Williams - Clinical Depression
- Drew Barrymore - Clinical Depression
- Amanda Bynes - schizophrenia
- John Mayer - Anxiety
- Johnny Depp - PTSD
- Angelina Jolie - Depression
Mental illness doesn't stop to think whether or not you are famous or not. Whether you're rich or not. Whether you want it or not. It waits until you are at a personal low, and then kicks you in the rib cage. Such a bitch.
So don't think that this doesn't happen to the rich and famous. Don't think that it "just you."
Mental illness screws with whoever whenever it wants.
But never be afraid to punch it back in the groin...