growing up. Today, it’s Skylar’s turn. Some of the things on the list are the
same, because I believe they should be instilled in both of my kids, but there
are a bunch of stuff I believe will apply to just Skylar. So, as promised,
here’s the list of things I hope to teach Skylar.
- Your body is beautiful. Don’t believe what you see in magazines and
- Never stop reading. Reading is the door to a wonderful world.
- You can tell me anything, anytime. Nothing you say or so will make
me love you any less or any more.
- Don’t rip out any of the “why-did-I-write-that?” pages of your
journal. You’ll be fascinated by your words someday.
- It’s ok to disappear sometimes to rest and recharge.
- Take lots of pictures to document your life and whereabouts. You’ll
want to remember them when you’re older.
- Don’t get caught up in comparing yourself to others. None of them
- Some boys will break your heart, but I promise that you’ll get over
- A few tiny bites of raw cookie dough won’t kill you. Eating a whole
bowlful is gross.
- Your daddy has loved you better and longer than any boy ever will.
- Cook, decorate, clean, organize because you love to, not because
someone tells you you’re meant to.
- Music makes everything better.
- Dance – often. The crazier the better.
- You’ll never be too old for me to rock you.
- Nothing you tell me will ever make me want to stop hearing from
- Staying up late to read a good book is never time wasted.
- I’m on your side; especially on the days when it doesn’t feel like it.
- Sex for the first time will require a beautiful sense of humor and
a partner who’s in it for life. The movies lie.
- Marriage is an act of courage, commitment and sacrifice. It’s also
the most fun you’ll ever have with your best friend.
- You can’t control what others think about you. So don’t try.
- I will be your best friend. But I will be your mother more.
- It’s true what they say about childbirth and then some.
- Don’t be afraid of a broken heart. It will ALWAYS mend. And you
will be stronger afterwards.
- The only thing holding you back from making a difference in the
world will be yourself.
- Girlfriends are the best kind of free therapy there is.
- Don’t be afraid to be foolish.
- A good friend loves at all times. Period.
- If it makes you feel uncomfortable, don’t do it, wear it, or say it.
- Challenge yourself.
- You can always come home.
- You will always be my baby girl.
- Just because you can fit in the extra small doesn’t mean you should
- Trust your gut. It’s rarely wrong.
- Admitting you’re wrong is never a bad thing.
- Learn how to say “No.” Just never use it on me.
- Don’t settle for a man. I didn’t.
- Have a sense of humor. Especially about yourself.
- Never think you are alone. I’m always here for you, no matter what.
As with Chase’s list, I’m sure it will grow over time and as she
grows into her own person, but it’s a good starting point. I can hardly wait for
her to get here! Only about 3 weeks to go!